Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Social Justice Event- Macklemore.
With all the talk of Macklemore and his rise to fame, I decided to buy a ticket to his concert that was April 11th, 2013. As much fun as I had, I kept rolling over the lyrics of a few of his songs, thinking about how relatable to those who stand apart from the common social "norms" that dictate every move in our society. 

One of the first songs he played was called "Same Love," which really hits the nail on the head for one of the largest units that we talked about, and though I am not gay, I found what he says relatable. The first line of the song says,
"When I was in third grade, I thought that I was gay, Cause I could draw, my uncle was, and I kept my room straight." (http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/macklemore/samelove.html)
I could relate to this, as I tried sports, but after head injuries, my mother realized I could draw, and sent me to art classes. I had an interest in break dancing, but with those injuries, I couldn't do that, so she put me in tap dancing for a while. I got teased, sure, but its all about remembering who you are that really makes the difference. 

The song highlights many of the issues that we handled in the LGBT unit. He talks about how people say "Thats gay," where they are in the complete wrong context, and he stands up for the LGBT community in trying to send out the message that it is more offensive than you think. I will be honest, sure I've said that. It becomes implanted in our heads that saying "thats gay" is the equivalent of saying somethings dumb, and I realize now just how demeaning that can be. Becoming friends with many new people who happen to be gay or lesbians really helped me understand to watch what I say, because of how sensitive it can be. So I have abolished saying it, and I have stuck to my word. Like Macklemore, I want to know why we all just can't get along and accept everyone for who they are. We have one world and we each have one life, and both become corrupt and destroyed by one another. Life is short enough as it is, hatred just makes everything more difficult.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQngzapK5dM

No comments:

Post a Comment